I’ve been looking for years for that one app/program, that allows me to do all of my knowledge base and note taking requirements. I need it to be cross platform, allow for linking between notes, easy to use (no complicated markup/markdown to learn) and free from too many keyboard commands (org mode Im looking at you).
I’ve come to the conclusion that such a tool doesn’t exist.
There are a lot of tools out there that almost work for me in areas but then are let down by several things.
- Cost – I can’t afford to spend too much money.
- Linking between notes etc isn’t possible or is so hard it isn’t worth it.
- Data is kept in some obscure format on their server (in the cloud)
- Privacy – honestly does anyone actually think these days?
- Ease of use, I want a rich text editor, is that too much to ask in 2020?
- Cross platform – why can’t I have it on my phone as well as my laptop?
- Export data – I want to be able to take my data out and keep the structure.
- Bookmarking – I want a browser extension to bookmark sites and keep a reasonable facsimile.
- Highlighting – I want to easily highlight some text. By that I mean with yellow highlighter.
- Spell checker – UK English. Not hard right? Apparently it is.